Tuesday, September 14

Feeling like a Zombie (and TIFF!)

I've been feeling a bit like the walking undead recently - I've been attending screenings at TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) and although I'm only doing a measly 10 screenings (a lot by most people's standards, but nothing compared to my boyfriend's 30) I'm exhausted. I considered going to bed tonight at 7pm. I've attended three of the midnight madness screenings so far, and for those unfamiliar, these are screenings that start at midnight and are usually genre movies - horror, fighting, and otherwise more crazy and zany stuff than the regular festival programming. On the first night, I was at the (world?) premier of Fubar 2, which by the way, was awesome, and made me weirdly patriotic for my small town redneck Canadian upbringing. And the cast were there. In character. The next night, I saw Super, which has a similar premise to Kick Ass (a regular guy decides to become a super hero) but it was really dark, pretty messed up, and starred Rainn Wilson and Ellen Page. It was also awesome. And Rainn Wilson was there! (and I totally heart Dwight).
I'm not one of the celebrity crazy people at the Festival, and there are lots, but it is cool seeing the movies in the same room with the people who made and starred in them. Last night, we were at the screening for Our Day Will Come, which was directed by the guy (Romain Gravas) who directed the video for MIA's Born Free and it was, therefore, pretty crazy. And we were sitting right in front of Vincent Cassel!

Anyway, the combination of Festival-ing and work (for which my regular shift is 6am-2pm) has left me pretty drained. I haven't been able to get around to my drawings, but I wanted to do a post nonetheless. I figure since I've had movies on the brain (and itinerary) lately, I'd do a post on films. The Film Festival has released an essential 100 films list, and though I've only seen a quarter of them, I thought I'd do a little post about three of my favourites.

Annie Hall is my absolute favourite romantic/relationship movie. I'm not going to go into a synopsis or anything, but I love it because it doesn't really have a happy ending. If anything, it's bittersweet and I suppose I'm a sucker for things not always working out the way you want in movies.
Also, as someone who's almost as neurotic as Alvy Singer, and sometimes as ditzy as Annie Hall, I feel kind of like I can relate. Oh, and Annie and I share a pretty serious case of arachnophobia.


I know that everyone loves Pulp Fiction. Well, whatever, I'm one of them. Since my boyfriend and I stayed up all night to watch this movie soon after we met, it's sort of become "our movie". Which is cheesy, I know, but I could watch this movie over and over. Seriously, whenever someone says something smart I think to myself "check out the big brain on Brad" and when I make coffee in the morning, I think "I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it, I want to taste it."


Now, the first two I've seen several, if not countless times. Blue Velvet, I've only seen once (and a half) but obvious for those who've seen it, it stuck with me. And whenever someone suggests Heineken...well again, obvious for those who've seen it.

So, for the rest of the week, six screenings down, four to go! Art post to follow soon :)

1 comment:

  1. It still amazes me that so many people from outside the NYC area do not get Annie Hall at all. I remember my mother showing me that film when I was about 11 and thinking that Woodie Allen was the perfect boyfriend...

    ReplyDelete